Sunday, August 10, 2008

What do You Think?

Okay, so I'm at home this afternoon doing my ScreamFree workbook and I have a situation come up with my 5 year old. Her brother is napping and I am on my bed doing the homework for the week. She comes in, dressed in her pajamas, looking sleepy and saying "Mommy, will you rub my back?"

So I say yeah and ask her to climb into the bed with me. Then I say, "Ya know, it's probably a good idea for you to lay down and take a rest before the birthday party tonight". I follow that up with a confirmation to her that yes, I do want her to lay down for an hour, until it's time for us to go.

Well, needless to say, she talked and fiddled around with the dog. Not resting at all. So I reminded her twice to lay down and relax. The 2nd time I followed it up with a conseqence. I pointed out that I have asked her to do something and if she does not do it, she will not be getting in the water at the party tonight. (Circumstances are that she has to come with us, or I would have just left her at home.)

Sooooo...about 2 minutes later she gets up and leaves the room. At first I was upset because she continued to defy me and I called out to her to "get back in here". But seeing as I was doing my ScreamFree homework, I hesitated. And when she came back in I asked her what she was doing. "Going to watch TV", she replied. Then she asked for my help turning the channel, to which I said "No, I'm busy".

So then she says that she wants to make more lemonade. This is where I wasn't sure what to do. My first reaction was to say "No, I told you to come in here a lay down." But I don't think that's what Hal would do. (I need a bracelet that says, "WWHD?")

Instead I said, "The choice to make lemonade is yours. But do you remember what I asked you to do?" She pretended like she didn't know, so I reminded her again. (!) Then I said one more time that the choice was hers which she decided to do.

The only problem I had with that is that while I was saying it, I almost felt like I was tricking her for some reason. Does that make sense?

Oh, and I won't tell you what she decided. Only that I am sipping on a very yummy glass of lemonade at this very moment.

~Jodi

No comments: