Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hooray, A Calm!

I was so proud of myself today for the first time in a very long time! It was time for lunch and like I always do, I asked what my 2 1/2 almost 3 year old son wanted for lunch. Well, his choice was a bag of cheese puffs (his favorite snack). I just let him know, like I normally do, you have to eat something healthier for you for lunch and then if you finish that you can have some chips. Finally, long story short he finally said a ham and cheese sandwich. Great!

I made the sandwich and called him back in to the kitchen to eat, as he was walking in I noticed he was pouting. I ignored it and laid his sandwich on the table with his water and said "time to eat". He went back to the livingroom and laid on the floor and proceeded to pitch his fit. I went ahead and sat down and ate my lunch. Almost through my lunch, he came walking into the kitchen after many minutes of screaming and crying, wanting me to wipe his nose. I did and then I sat back down to finish my lunch. He had sat on the kitchen floor now to finish his crying session.

I let it go on for a few more minutes and then I just told him very simply "You have a choice to either not eat anything until supper or you can eat this sandwich that YOU asked for and get a bag of chips when you are done." Your choice, it really doesn't matter to mama. His next step was so easily taken, he got up and got straight in his chair and began eating ALL of his sandwich and in a good mood while doing it. Talking about flipping a switch!

Needless to say, I was not this CALM back in July while on vacation at my mom's and he did the same fit over supper one night. Let me remind you that this is only his 2nd HUGE fit like this and both were about food, although we have many little fits like everyone else. I am just praying that his terrible two's are not going to extend into three's!

I pray everyone else is have a GREAT and CALM week! (-:

Tiffany

4 comments:

Michele said...

Fantastic! I love this story. Thanks for sharing on our blog!

Jenny Runkel said...

Great story Tiffany. I love it. Don't be too hard on yourself about the first episode. Sometimes extended family can create even more stress when we most need to be ScreamFree.
Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Great job Tiffany! I had a similar situation in my house this week and Savannah ended up eating her lunch time grilled cheese sandwich right before dinner because I told her it was her choice whether or not she ate the sandwich, but I wasn't fixing her anything else until it was gone. Thank goodness she finally ate it because I don't know how long grilled cheese will last! :)

Tiffany Pezent said...

Too funny Jodi! We actually started lunch almost the same way again today, but did not last nearly as long and he finally just got up and decided he would not eat until supper! My problem is that I threw away what was left (3/4) of his yogart instead of putting in the refrigerator for the next time he was hungry, so I praise you for sticking that one out with the grilled cheese. I'm not sure how long one will last either, but I am sure it gets a little tough after a while, so she may not want to wait as long next time. (-:
Thanks ladies for all your support!