Friday, March 13, 2009

ScreamFree Birthday

I was contacted recently by ScreamFree and asked to do a one hour presentation on Sunday night, March 8th (my birthday). I originally thought I didn't want to do it on my birthday but the more I thought about it I really wanted to do it. I was nervous about it being for youth parents. What do I know about youth (my oldest is 13) that I could contribute? I realized I could combine the two by eating dinner first at one of my favorite restaurants, Provino's (just one minute from the church). I was also excited about bringing David with me and getting his imput on my presentation. We had a very interesting night and the parents were excited about the message. When the youth minister divided the kids up I asked him to have the kids do an exercise: write down on a piece of paper this sentence-"I wish my parents..." then bring the responses back to me. When I told the parents what the kids had done the looks on their faces was pure shock! What had my kids said? Here are the responses:
I wish my parents...

-would understand that I worry about what kids worry about and not what adults worry about.

-would stay just he way they are.

-would stop making me go outside.

-wouldn't dance in public.

-weren't crazy about my grades.

-would lay off school work.

-didn't bug me about school. I can pass by myself.

-would believe in me with class work.

-were more understanding.

-let me do what I want.

-knew when I was in a bad mood.

-were less invasive.

-let me be.

-would understand me more.

-would be easier to talk to.

-acted like adults.

-would get off my case and stop yelling at me.

-give me more privacy.

-would not think I was yelling when I am not.

-would buy me a halfpipe in my backyard (I had to ask what that was-for skate boarding.)

-would not get irritated so easily.

-knew that I had sex and they would understand.

-would live forever.

I can't tell you how much this exercise has meant to me as a parent and a ScreamFree Facilitator. It has reminded me to walk side-by-side instead of toe-to-toe with my children.

1 comment:

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made said...

These insights are priceless! THANK YOU for sharing!!