Saturday, September 20, 2008

ScreamFree at Disney

So I'm currently on vacation at Disney World. (I'm not ignoring my family, fyi, they are napping.) I have to admit that I was a little skeptical about having a Scream Free Disney vacation. I mean, sure, being surrounded by 20,000 other people tends to quiet the screaming to behind clenched teeth, but can 2 kids, 4 days, and no naps really equal the happiest place on earth???



I've been applying the principles and yesterday went really well. (I don't want to talk about today because we stayed up way too late last night and had an early breakfast reservation this morning. Today has not been a good day, but I'm choosing to be an optimist!) The main thing I tried to remember is that this is their vacation too. How many times do we come with an agenda for what we want to do and what is best for our family? Without even asking them! I did schedule a couple of meals, but only 1 a day. Other than that, I've "planned" to not plan anything.



The kids, especially my 5 year old, have really responded to this. During nap time yesterday she really didn't want to sleep. So while Daddy and brother snoozed, she and I went to the pool. I knew this would have serious consequences going into the evening, but she and I discussed it and we agreed that she would have to stay awake during dinner and not complain that she was too tired to be a part of the group.



It was pretty tough for her and I knew she was exhausted, but she was a little trooper throughout the night. And let me tell you, that when it came time for today's "rest time", I only had to remind her of last night and she hopped right into bed! I am thinking this evening will be a lot of fun. Everybody is rested up, I've calmed my anxiety about needing a plan for dinner, and I can't wait to hear what everybody wants to do tonight. :)



~Jodi

2 comments:

Tiffany Pezent said...

Sounds like you are doing what is best for you guys! Just enjoy the not planning. When we did it in January, I of course had the week planned out completely for meals only for reservation purposes. Other than that, we just went with it. When Michele asked last week when our last time was that we REALLY enjoyed our children, that was probably the time that I was able to enjoy both at the same time. They were wonderful even on a small schedule and Logan having Broncitis and taking a visit in the middle of the night to the clinic! Wish I was there with you guys! ENJOY!!!!

Michele said...

Thanks for the post, Jodi! Sounds like you are doing a great job on your family "trip"-ha ha.